Learn how you can receive special discounts.
If you do not have enough money to pay your phone bill, you may be able to receive financial help from the government through the Lifeline program of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
The Lifeline program helps low-income families get discounts from phone companies. If you wish to participate in the program, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You have an income of less than 135% of what the federal government stipulates.
- You receive benefits from Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8), or Head Start.
- Receive a federal veterans pension.
To get financial aid, should contact the local offices of Lifeline. The Government website indicates that to demonstrate your eligibility you must present the following documents:
- A pay stub or tax return to show that your income is at or below 135% of what the federal government sets.
- A card or letter that shows you or your family participate in one of the following programs: Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8).
If for any reason you cannot receive the Lifeline program benefits, You can consider the following phone companies, as they offer very cheap plans.
With the company Ting You can choose the phone lines you want and the number of minutes, text and Internet gigabytes you need. Because of this, Ting is one of the cheapest companies, because you can completely choose the services you want to obtain or pay for. In addition, this company is without a contract and does not charge a cancellation fee.
The cost of each phone line is $ 6 a month and you can pay $ 9 a month for a 500-minute fee. For example, if you want to get a line with 500 minutes, 1,000 text messages and no internet, you would pay $ 18 monthly. However, if you add one gigabyte of internet to the plan, the monthly payment would be $ 36.
Republic Wireless It offers a plan of minutes and unlimited messages for $ 15 a month. If you want to add internet to the plan, the monthly payment would be $ 20 and includes unlimited minutes and text with 1GB of internet. Similarly, you can cancel at any time without charge.